Friday, February 4, 2011

Hua Hin and Cha-Am to become a special administrative area

Cha-Am municipality office
While the law to make Mae Sot a special administrative area is apparently still in the drafting process, in the next meeting of the cabinet on February 8 another special administrative area will be discussed. The touristic centers of Hua Hin and Cha-Am are to be merged into one such unit to allow a better management of the area.

Whereas the article at The Nation can be understood that the two districts might become something like a new province
Interior Minister Chaovarat Chanweerakul will next Tuesday seek Cabinet approval to merge the two districts and put them under a special administration scheme. Hua Hin, where the Klai Kangwon Palace is located, currently comes under the jurisdiction of Prachuap Khiri Khan province, while Cha-am is in Phetchaburi province.
Hua Hin municipality office
the Thai language articles are more detailed but not about the administrative details. But at least the use the term "องค์กรปกครองส่วนท้องถิ่นรูปแบบพิเศษ", thus it sounds like a similar structure with Mae Sot and the already existing special administrative area of Pattaya. I only hope the transcript of the cabinet meeting will have some more details, as one thing special about this one is the fact that it would be the first local government unit spread between two provinces. So one question is whether only the two municipalities Cha-Am and Hua Hin will be merged, or the whole districts as The Nation claims. Or is it maybe even a kind of resurrection of the province plan started in the last weeks before Thaksin was ousted in the 2006 coup, and the new entity will be a copy of the special administrative area of Bangkok, which is both a local administration as well as at province level?

3 comments:

Ian said...

Hi Andy,
Starting in March I will be back in Thailand for a few months. I will be visiting the far south provinces, including the three 'troubled' provinces. I will be doing my usual tourist wandering, waymarking and general sight seeing. Is there anything you would like photographed or visited on your behalf? Also, are there any interesting sites in this region you can suggest that are worth visiting?

Ian

Andy said...

For waymarking, any additions for my office location list is welcome, especially the municipality, TAO and PAO offices are hard to find. Have to check that waymarking site you use if it has a RSS feed for one person's entries, so I can easily follow you.

You can look my second blog for some sites I consider worth visiting, all posting geotagged so they should be easy to find. In the south don't miss Ranong, very off the normal tourism path. I'll probably be in Surat Thani end of May, maybe could then meet for a chat in person.

Ian said...

Thanks for the info.

I would like to meet up, the only problem is when. The Thai consulate in Australia has given me a single tourist visa (60-90 days), whereas last year they gave me a one year visa! As I will be arriving in late February my time will be limited. Also, this year I plan to head south to Sumatra and Java, possibly Borneo, however, I will certainly stay longer if I can and meet with you in May. I am sure that I can find something interesting to do in Thailand.

As per your request I will look for the various administrative offices on my travels, and take pics and latlon.

Unfortunately, waymarking.com does not have rss capability. It is a bit of a private ‘boys’ club. Individual entries can be found with google searches, but there is no way of following the waymarks of a single person (in fact, a few people have asked me about this capability in the past). When I find the admin offices I can email you the specific waymark link and/or post them to my flickr account.

I will definitely be visiting Ranong. I have learnt that there are Roman Empire (my historical area) archaeological artefacts at a site in the province. These are not originals, but copies of Roman pottery from the silk/spice trade the Romans had with India, however, they are certainly worth a look.