Wednesday, February 23, 2011

DOPA population statistics 2010 now online

Thanks to the Firefox browser plugin Update Scanner, I noticed that the Department of Provincial Administration (DOPA) has uploaded the population statistics as of December 31st 2010 to their website. Well, actually not to their main website, as at that one it still has the data as of 2008, but on server still holding the old version of their website only referenced by its IP address 203.113.86.149. It was posted almost a month earlier than last year, when it appeared end of March.

Working through the data, it helped me to fix one minor bug in my software which occured in the district Wiang Nong Long of Lamphun province, one of those districts now completely covered by municipalities, and apparently the first to show in the statistics. Another thing which nearly slipped through was the fact that in Chainat the municipality Pho Nang Dam (เทศบาลตำบลโพนางดำ) was renamed to Pho Phithak (เทศบาลตำบลโพธิ์พิทักษ์) last year - and I mistakenly had the originally planned rename from the board meeting to Thep Phithak (เทศบาลตำบลเทพพิทักษ์) in the XMLs, as I failed to read the Gazette announcement well enough.

A total of 14 municipalities have been added between the 2009 and 2010 data, but only those which were already present in the latest geocode list, so I did/could not have to add any new codes to my data. Actually, this way round is the better way, I prefer to know the actual codes instead of trying to guess them from the order of entries in the statistics list. Thus there were only a few further minor points I had to change in the XML and then my software could parse the new data already. I will post some detailed analysis of the data in later posts, like the entities with largest gain or loss of population.

No comments: