Tuesday, April 29, 2008

TAO creations

Recently the local government units get a lot of attention, most visibly the many Tambon Administrative Organizations (TAO, องค์การบริหารส่วนตำบล) getting upgraded into municipalities by 4 to 6 each week as I report them in the board meeting summaries. So after I have now the municipalities mostly up to date (just have to work through a few board meetings from last year), the next step would be to have the complete list of all the TAO, their date of creation and eventual later changes to it. The only problem is the sheer number of more than 6000 TAO. Most of these are created with 4 announcements in the Royal Gazette, dating from 1995 to 1999 - 618 in 1995, 2143 in 1996,
3637 in 1997 and 350 in 1999.

I wonder if anyone have these announcements in real digital form, not just the scan of the printed version. To process them manually is a lot of work, and of course also error-prone. For a test I have done the TAO of Phuket and Ranong, both provinces with only a few TAO, especially to check if I haven't missed any major announcement.

By the way, the photo shows the office of the TAO Bang Bai Mai (องค์การบริหารส่วนตำบลบางใบไม้), Mueang Surat Thani distict, located not far from the city of Surat Thani. It is so far the only TAO I have visited and photographed, especially as I have no map yet giving the locations, and there are usually no road signs to find them either. It was quite some coincidence I found a sketch map of the Tapi river delta showing that office location.

No comments: