Sunday, April 27, 2008

Ubon region now in hires in Google Earth

Now he region around Ubon Ratchathani in the northeast of Thailand is covered with high resolution imagery. Actually, I am a bit late to report it, as it was announced on April 4 on the Google Earth Blog already. But I was then underway, and wasn't able to check the extend of the new data. The official blog says the areas now newly covered are Hat Yai, Ubon Ratchathani, Pattani, Warin Chamrap and Mukdahan, and listed separately Nai Mueang and Ban Dong Tong. Though while Pattani and Mukdahan is just a single square, and for Pattani a very cloudy one, Ubon and Warin Chamrap are just the two largest towns for a larger area updated, now almost the whole province Ubon Ratchathani is covered in hires. Ban Dong Tong is actually the area south of the town Nakhon Phanom. However I have no idea what they mean with Nai Mueang - that is the name of several central subdistricts in provincial capitals. But I guess they actually mean Nakhon Phanom, as it is within one strip with the Ban Dong Tong. I am not fully sure, but it also seems there's a new hires square around Ranot, at the northern part of the Songkhla lake. At least I haven't noticed that before to adjust the location of the district office to the Wikipedia article on the district. I have that for all these new areas already, the next time Google updates the Wikipedia layer the placemarks for the district article will be directly at the district office.

Another thing which is new is the boundary data within Thailand. If I recall correctly before it were only the provincial boundaries displayed, but now also the Tambon boundaries are show. However rhey are wrongly labeled as 2nd level administrative boundaries - the second level are the Amphoe (disticts), the Tambon (subdistricts) are the 3rd level. But as I had a lot of problems to find these boundaries before I won't complain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah thanks! I found my fathers hometown :)